Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Excitement of Success

Students make the letters, "ASU"! Here they come!

I hope the Iraqi trainers don't mind that I post a few emails I have recently received from them. Some recently wrote me to give me updates on their own training and some because they have been accepted for additional training stateside. Since teachers like me don't generally get paid in cash, and I submit that we are not crazy (at least a great many of us), than there must be something else we get paid in. Here is that something.

Hello Shane,

This is Hawzhen, the actor! I am doing well. It is really great to hear from you. The workshops changed my lifestyle in everything, not only teaching. We came back to our college and really did a great job. We held meetings with other teachers to discuss what we learned from Baghdad.

Thanks for your help. I will get passport in the next three or four days. I have sent 2 emails for Husna and asked for the deadline, but she has not answered me yet. Anyhow, I will get it and send it to her. I wish to see you and the other dear teachers, who have really showed and opened new gates for my life career (that's teaching).

Please, if you are in Baghdad, take care of yourself. Pass my greetings to the other great teachers.

Send you all my love from my heart,

Hawzhen

Hi Shane,

There is a statement that says "he who is away from the eyes is away from the heart," but I think you and other wonderful team reversed this meaning. Believe me, I remember you every time whenever you spoke about teaching and humanity. I respect the man who left his family and came to country with so much unrest to teach and help Iraqi teachers.

Dheyaa

Dear Shane,

I'm so happy to hear from you and I hope you, your wife and the three lovely kids are OK. Really, I miss you and your lectures so much.

I'd like to tell you that we have been chosen for a 7-week workshop at Arizona University the next month and we are so eager to see you, Scott, and Marie.

Untill then, see you and may God saves you and be in peace

Regards,

Hasan Hameed

Hi Shane

I want to let you know that I have started a new stage in my teaching because of what I got from the training course. I discovered that there is inside me a great teacher that can emerge. For the first time I feel that my students really like what I give them; and that they can enjoy reading plays and even some of them try to give me ideas of how to appreciate what they've got.

I remember that I told you that I would use the strategies I have got for the course in my drama class and with Sami's help ... we are doing it. Thanx for the nice photo.

Be safe, be happy and always take care.

Yours,
Amaal J.

Hello Sir,

I hope you are fine.

I do miss you and miss to your kindly and lovably words in your speech and your romantic songs. I wish you to send me your kind and romantic songs, especially with their words in order to sing them with my students.

By the way, I am gonna teach English as a Second Language in the Lebanon Institute in Anbar Governance besides doing my current job as a teacher of English language and literature at Ramadi High School.

I am gonna follow your ways and steps of teaching. Am looking forward to meeting you all once again in near future. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards ...

Mustafa R. Ali

Hello, Shane!


How are you? I'm MARWA from the trainers 4 ever and this is my email. I want to tell you that I recevied an invitation to go to America and visit your university.

When Ussama told me I danced in the school and in that moment I thought that my heart will stop from the happiness because I remember when I told you that maybe one day we will meet in AMERICA. I think when he said these words the doors of the sky were opened.

See you in your country and I hope you keep in touch with me.

Marwa

4 comments:

  1. Okay, seriously, those letters are so heart-warming. What a reward for you to see how you have been able to touch those people's lives and their students too. And how exciting for them to be able to come for a visit! That is the coolest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Shane! Of all the "gifts" I ever received from students, the notes of gratitude were always the best! You are truly touching lives and changing perceptions! These make the hard sacrifice a little more bearable! Not much longer. I predict the next two weeks will fly! :) Let's hope I'm right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Softhearted Mr. Shane
    I am Tha'ar from pioneer training and would like to post something. I still remember your smile in my mind, your stories "Owen shaking the tiny dog","Mamasito" "chickens can fly" and the others amazing stories. Honestly you open my eyes in teaching English in a way never imagine before. May Allah bless you. You took a risk and came to Iraq in a noble purpose and may be there are a lot blame you on that risk, to them I say Shane is doing a great job and we changed our minds about Americans.
    For Shane I say… I hope you will shine in the sky of teaching English
    For Scott I say….. you are not Scott any more but scores for All Iraqi English teachers
    For Marie I say…. You are like Mary in your kindness
    May Allah bless all of you fantastic trainers
    Sincerely
    Tha'ar Muhammed

    ReplyDelete