Tuesday, December 29, 2009

teachers are poor and their wives cry

So I've noticed I want to start all my blogposts with the word "so." I think it just helps me feel there is a real audience out there; like I'm starting a new conversation with my closest friends. But I really don't know if I'll strike a chord with anyone yet.
Someone listening? Someone? Anyone?

And I'm still not sure who my audience IS. I think I'm writing to teachers. I think I'm writing about teachers. Blogs can seem so self-absorbed (Do you hear the voice of ditzyblonde in your head when you read most blogs? Cause, yeah, I do). And so here I am trying to defend why a teacher blog would or should even be read. I'm totally going Sally Fields all over you, my nonexistent audience. But let me defend myself.

I wonder what it is about teachers that make them feel the need to defend themselves all the time. Is it the size of our paychecks? The perception that we couldn't hack it in the real world? The belief that others don't really give us the "respect" we deserve? We definitely have complexes, me included. My wife has cried no less than a dozen times because we can't get into a house. And while I know it is not entirely my fault, if I had been doctorlawyerdentist (yes, people, that's what I'm calling that guy, you know, the one with the shiny sportscar and shiny teeth and non-tearing wife) then I think I'd be spared those tears. I try to put my arm around my wife and support her by just being quiet (do you know how HARD that is for someone like me?) but the tears keep coming and literally fall onto my arm. They're big and warm. I've decided I hate them and their stupid unexpected warmth.

And here is my big teacher question for the day...do you use one space after a period or two? I had always been taught to put two spaces after each period/sentence. It makes a comforting sound when I'm typing. Here's a sentence [period][space][space] And here's another [period][space][space] But I notice EVERYONE is using just a single space now. Did I fail to get the memo? Could someone send it to me now? Thank you.

See you tomorrow everyone/no one. Oh, and I forgot to defend myself and teachers properly. I was voted most likely to succeed, got straight A's, and scored a 760 on my GRE Verbal. So I COULD have been an excellent doctorlawyerdentist. So there.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Shane, I'm listening; sounds great so far. (I know I'm not your target audience, but it's nice to hear your voice from a couple of thousand miles away.)

    BTW, I'm definitely a proponent of the single-space-after-a-full-stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. My friend linked me to your blog. I'm an ESL professional also, though currently looking for work.

    I use the one period in general. Though I occasionally use two if my muscle memory kicks in. http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/spaces-period-end-of-sentence.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't get the memo either. I don't like the feel of one space, but it's default in Microsoft Word and since Bill Gates is richer than God, I guess we listen to him, eh?

    Keep writing, I just stumbled on this and find it very insightful. Expand your audience to include me (the wanna be teacher!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely 2 spaces.

    I was just thinking about how often I see "definately" and I think, Isn't that spelled wrong?

    When I searched the word on Google, the Urban dictionary defined definately as "Idiot-speak for definitely. One of the most common moronic misspellings on the internet."

    Interesting. Dare I say, educational? If I was only 95% certain of the spelling, am I 5% moron?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new APA manual has 1 space and for 57 years I've been typing with TWO--- UGH! (It's interesting, though, that the new manual had to be RECALLED because it had so MANY MISTAKES!!!)
    :) TuTu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to use the two-space after period method, but have noticed that I'm one of the few. This is the way that I was taught in Australia, so it may be a remnant of some British style standard which has been made more 'efficient' in the American system, like a lot of words and phrases.
    I'll stick with two spaces, because it is more pleasing to my eye, and I'm the one that's doing the typing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is a great opportunity to be in touch again with you, after the ESL workshop in Baghdad, and to be your absent listener, concerning the spaces after period I think it is an old style due to the new technical development and the changing of the typing ways and tools, so it is an old fashion, see you around.

    (Tiger "Riders for change")

    ReplyDelete