Monday, January 25, 2010

Rule #3: The Beauty of Stillness


Wait time.


That's what I want to talk about today.


Wait time.


That's right. Say it with me.


Wait time.


Wait time refers to a teacher principle that I don't think we teachers live up to. It refers to the practice of waiting a long enough amount of time for students to "get" what we are saying. It involves asking questions about the material in such a way that students are given the resources to formulate an answer. It involves (get this teachers) shutting up.


And, as you might have already guessed, I suck at this. There are several reasons for my sucking, and I don't think I'm alone when I say this. First, like many teachers, I like to talk a lot. I find my voice, let's say, mellifluous. Say it with me students, mellifluous. Second, I hate silence. Have you ever asked a question only to answer it yourself about one tenth of a second later?


Yes, you have, stop lying.


The truth is, it is painful to watch people stare blankly at you, and it is even more painful when you have an answer right on the tip of your tongue. And this leads me to my third reason, which is this: I like to answer my own questions. I tend to ask the kinds of open-ended questions that lead students to self-discovery and real genuine critical analysis. But the thing is, when I ask a question I really like, I just feel this craving, this gnawing at my gut that says, "oooooh! Answer that one! Answer that one!"


I realized that I am saying that I am intrigued by my own line of questioning. Let's just ignore what might be obvious about me from this thought and move along.


Wait time is important. Really important.


What is clear about students is that what is taught is not necessarily what is learned. Teachers often move on from material so quickly, or provide so little time and resources for students to absorb material, that true knowledge (the kinds of deep connections necessary for something to be remembered and useful) often just doesn't happen. I wish I could have all teachers stand up and say it with me: WHAT IS TAUGHT IS NOT WHAT IS LEARNED.


And that is often because of this concept called wait time.


Did you know that teachers need to wait at least five seconds for students to process information, deliberate on their own opinion, and then formulate an answer? Maybe you think that is a short amount of time (you're right, hot stuff!) But the next time you ask a question to a friend or family member, try actually waiting five full seconds. I think you'll realize it ain't a short amount of time at all. It seems to last an eternity. It feels like that one blind date your mother set you up on, the one where you kept watching the clock on the wall thinking that its batteries must be dead.


And while we are on the topic, don't you think that the concept of wait time works for ALL relationships? How well do you really listen to people? How well do you let people listen to you? How could you apply this to your marriage, your children, your friends?

Oh! I have an answer! I have an answer! But I'm not going to answer. This time, I'll let you.

1 comment:

  1. The beauty of stillness
    these are very intresting topics and importat ideas.wait the time is very important idea because the teacher must take enough time when he present some metereals until he notice that all his students benefit from his information.and he must give to them apportinities to particepate in these activities and they must take enough of time in order to answering guestions to exprece their ideas and attudes about several topics.

    ReplyDelete